Did you know that February is sweet potato month? Well the American Sweet Potato Marketing Institute (ASPMI) want to make sure you know about it and they are wanting you to celebrate by trying some new recipes. Here are two recipe twists that include sweet potato! Enjoy!
Savoury Sweet Potato Poutine
Recipe created by the American Sweet Potato Marketing Institute
2 pkgs (454 g) frozen sweet potato fries
½ red pepper
2 green onions
½ cup (125 mL) crumbled goat cheese or cheese curds
1/3 cup (75 mL) savory barbecue sauce
¼ cup (60 mL) vegetable oil
1 tbsp hot sauce
bacon bits (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 450Fo (230Co) and cook sweet potato fries according to package directions.
2. While fries are cooking, chop red pepper and green onions.
3. Just before sweet potato fries are finished cooking, prepare gravy according to package directions and once hot stir in barbecue and hot sauce.
4. Place cooked sweet potato fries in a large baking dish and sprinkle one-half of the goat cheese on the hot fries. Pour gravy over top and sprinkle with remaining cheese, chopped red pepper, green onions and bacon bits, if using.
Southern Sweet Potato Pancakes
Recipe created by Chef Sara Harrel on behalf of the American Sweet Potato Marketing Institute
YIELD: 8 PANCAKES
11⁄2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
2 tbsp (30 mL) white sugar
1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
1⁄2tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
1⁄2tsp (2 mL) salt
11⁄2 cups (375 mL) 2% milk or buttermilk
1 cup (250 mL) cooked mashed American sweet potatoes (from about 1 large sweet potato)
2 large eggs
2 tsp (10 mL) salted or unsalted butter, melted
additional butter, for making pancakes
1. In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
2. With a blender or immersion blender puree milk, mashed sweet potatoes, eggs and the 2 tsp (10 mL) melted butter.
3. Slowly whisk milk/sweet potato mixture into flour mixture until smooth.
4. Heat a non-stick pan or griddle over medium- low heat. Add enough butter to coat the bottom of pan.
5. Pour about 1/3 cup (75 mL) batter onto pan; cook until bubbles form, about 3 to 4 minutes. Flip over and cook an additional 2 minutes.
Repeat with remaining batter.
6. Serve pancakes with Sweet Potato Butter and maple syrup.
SERVE WITH: Sweet Potato Butter – Stir or blend together equal parts cooked mashed sweet potato and softened butter.
To make February a little sweeter I am happy to be able to bring you this giveaway! Open to Canada only.
Enter to win a $50 Loblaws gift card and some fun kitchen tools.